26 Apr '13, 5pm

I believe I'm experiencing severe allergic reactions to our propane fireplace. #construction #green

Well Colleen that is an interesting question and yes propane can give off some nasty fumes. My first question though is is this a "vented" or "unvented" unit? If it is unvented the biggest waste product is generally water vapor which can cause condensation issues leading to mold, mildew, etc ... in the house. If there is incomplete combustion one of the by-products is Carbon Monoxide which can be deadly. The catch with that is it is odorless so that would not explain your allergic reactions. If you don't have a Carbon Monoxide detector, please make sure you do pick one up. As for the allergy aspect, if this is a ventless unit, you could be having issues with the materials used / being burnt off. Is this an all the time or just when used issue? If this is a vented unit, then you are probably looking at a bad install or the finish used on the unit . The only other option cou...

Full article: http://greenhomeguide.com/askapro/question/propane-gas-fi...

Tweets

Are you are embarking on a construction project...

greenbuildingadvisor.com 27 Apr '13, 8pm

Ideally, a green home is small. If you follow good design principles, you can make a small space attractive, durable, and ...